Tuesday 10 January 2012

Multicultural Mondays #1

Going through some of the members of the Mom Bloggers for Social Good I stepped into a new blog hop which I just LOOOOVE!!!! It's called MulticulturalMondays Blog Hop and it's all about living with two or more cultures in your family. Wow, this is just the one for me!

I was born and bred in a multicultural family. My mom was born in Finland and my dad was born here in Spain, in Catalunia, which has its own language and traditions that differ somewhat from the rest of the country. Both of them left their countries due to bad living conditions and ended up working in Stockholm, Sweden, where they met and fell in love. At that time, the late 60s, people were not used to interracional relationships and I think life wasn't so easy on them but now, more than 45 years after they first met, they are still together. That really is true love!

Ever since I was born I was surrounded by different religions, languages and cultures, and to me, that's the most normal thing. We always mixed different traditions at home and chose the best from each country. What I liked the most was the fact that we got Christmas presents 3 times a year! But when I grew up I never thought I would end up falling in love with someone from a country far far away, just to follow the "family tradition" LOL. But I did. I fell in love with a Moroccan and got married. So by then, my family added some North African and Moslem traditions to our daily life and holidays. Unfortunatelly, things didn't turn out well, so I got divorced, but we kept some of the Moroccan traditions, for my kids' sake. Well, the multicultural story could have ended there, couldn't it? But no... I'm dating a Peruvian so nowadays we've also added a South American touch to our lives. LOL 
 


I can't wait to see who my kids will fall in love with, will they follow the family tradition or will they find someone closer to home? By the way, my kids are about as multicultural as there can be since they were born in Sweden, then spent 4 years in Morocco and now live in Spain. My oldest son speaks 7 languages and he's only 14!!!!!

4 greetings:

Wow...that is such an interesting story and I'm so glad you found me! :) I was going through the MBfSG site today too and I'm so excited to see the diversity of women involved! It's great to find your blog and thanks so much for joining in the blog hop today! Looking forward to hearing more about your family and I've very impressed with your son's language skills! *jealous* ;) Living abroad is such a great experience that I hope to have myself some day. =)

Thanks for visiting Chantilly and thanks for hosting the blog hop!

I hope you'll get the chance to live abroad for some time, it really is a wonderful experience. The only negative thing is that you leave a part of your heart in every country you live in and after a while you don't really know what to call your "home" anymore. I guess it makes you a citizen of the world instead.

I'm also a bit jellous of my son's language skills LOL. 6 of them are the ones he's exposed to due to family and school, and Japanese is something he studies just because he likes it! :)

Hi Blanca - Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I am sooo impressed by your son! Maybe one day our paths will cross - I'd love to spend some time (besides day trips or airplane transit) in Spain!

Salaam Amanda! Thanks for visiting! I hope you can visit Spain some day. If you do, please let me know, I'd love to meet you, I'm sure we have a lot to talk about. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More